Monday, November 19, 2012

Pattern, Colour & Gesture

Spring Garden 8 12
90 x 36 x 18cm. Acrylic on Wood
$350
Having studied painting at the Canberra School of Art and at the Ecole Des Beaux Arts in Paris, Anne-Marie Jean moved to New Zealand in 2000 and has exhibited regularly since. Her energetic and beautifully coloured large-scale paintings speak of her passionate love of nature, the medium of oil painting and a spiritual side of life.

At the beginning of 2012 Anne-Marie returned from Wellington to Christchurch in order to be closer to the “beautiful South Island landscapes” she loves. “Here I am setting up my studio, commencing my PhD study in painting, launching my art consultancy business and running the occasional painting workshop. It is a busy and rich life which centres around my passion for painting and design to shares that with both artists and art appreciators.”

Left - Lake Daniels Forest Hut #1
Right - Hurunui Hut Forest 2
Both Oil on Canvas, $5900
Anne-Marie comments that her own “painting is as much about a celebration and exploration of the history of painting and the medium of paint itself as it is an evocation of my love of, and experience of, nature. Beauty, simplicity, pattern and expressionism have provided spiritual insight throughout the ages. I am exploring experiences and spirituality as I combine patterns, colour, gesture and landscape. I am attracted to unruly landscapes that contain patterns which are disrupted by discordant notes, landscapes which are not neat, that invite close inspection; landscapes with which I can become intimate.”

Producing a vast range of work - from large-scale oil paintings to bold acrylic on wood works - Anne-Marie Jean is an evolving artist who draws the viewer, in offering them a unique experience every-time.  We are thrilled to be showing a range of her work, click here to see what we have on offer. 

Spring Garden 4
112 x 120 x 4cm. Acrylic on Wood
$2400

No comments: